“Want nothing but the best for your friends because when your friends are happy and successful, it’s probably going to be easier for you to be happy.” ― Roxane Gay
Let me I just say how the internet continues to amaze me with all that it gives.
Most of the time blogging feels as solitary as it is- you’re alone with your thoughts hoping someone is paying just enough attention to justify all your efforts and hard work. And then sometimes it feels so full of love because of the community that has been built around this budding concept that is ever growing and changing. So what am I beaming about?
The wonderfully clever Selasi blogs about food, fashion, and natural hair care over at Kinks and Kale (how adorable is that name!). She nominated me for a 2016 Liebster Award and this blog post is my acceptance speech, in some manner of speaking. I had no idea what this was, but completely humbled and thankful for her application of my site. Then like the “research raptor” that I am (a term of endearment from a good friend), I found out a little more information about it.
The Liebster Award 2016 is an award that exists only on the internet, and is given to bloggers by other bloggers. The earliest case of the award goes as far back as 2011. Liebster in German means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome. – The Global Aussie
In short, it’s a way for new bloggers to get some recognition because let’s face it: blogging is hard and sometimes we all deserve a pat on the back. As with most accolades, some requirements need to be met and the Liebster is no different.
Liebster 2016 Award Rules (in a nutshell):
- Post 11 random facts about yourself (optional)
- Write a 150-300 word post about your favorite blog
- Answer 11 questions asked by your nominator
- Nominate 5-11 other bloggers and ask them 11 different questions
- Let them know they have been nominated
You can find the complete “rules” here as described by the Global Aussie. So lets get to it!
11 Random Facts About Me:
- I’m the oldest child.
- I have only ever lived in 2 states, but have moved over 10 times in my short 31 years.
- I’ve played violin since I was a child, although I haven’t picked it up in a while.
- I have two children, both girls.
- My personality type is ENFJ.
- I’ve only seen snow fall once in person.
- My favorite job was working as a stage technician for Universal Studios Orlando in my early 20s.
- I met my would-be husband at that same job.
- I’ve only read the Harry Potter series once.
- Although I’m not now, I was vegetarian more years of my life than not.
- Sometimes I dream of doing cosplay but don’t have the time or energy to tackle one more thing at the moment.
Whew. Are you still with me?
Currently, my favorite blog is: African Book Addict.
Created by a Ghanian-American writer, Darkowaa reviews books written by authors of the African Diaspora. I love her blog. In short, she is doing exactly what I’m doing, only she has been doing it since 2014. If I was initially worried that a niche blog was a bad idea, she has completely proven me wrong. She brings intellect and honesty to her reviews, creating an air of friendship with the reader.
Her site is well organized and a comfort to browse. Categories and lists are some of my favorite things and she has both. I’m not even kidding, I’m gonna
steal adopt some of her formats. (List updates to come!) Please check out her blog or follow her on Twitter.
Questions asked by my nominator, Kinks and Kale:
- Why did you start blogging? I habitually start a new blog when I want to divulge all my deepest, darkest secrets about a particular subject. This is probably the 5th blog I’ve started, and Black & Bookish is to bring awareness to literature written by black authors (African, African-American, Caribeian, Afro-Latinx, etc.). Mostly I wanted to be held accountable for this information so I made sure the internet knew about it.
- What is your favorite word? Circumlocution: “the use of many words where fewer would do, especially in a deliberate attempt to be vague or evasive”. I’m a wiz at this now that I have kids. Plus, I love it the most in Young Adult novels when the character is explaining something they don’t really know about and you the reader do!
- Dogs or cats? Cats. But I’m allergic.
- If you had to lie, what job would you say you did? Writer.
- If you were cupid, and able to make anyone in the world fall in love with you, who would you choose? Just one? Kidding. Probably some dark haired boy with light eyes who is passionate about social justice. Maybe Mark Ruffalo. (But seriously, I love my husband. Wouldn’t trade him in for anyone.)
- What inspires/motivates you? I love to learn new things and show people that I can meet a challenge. I like doing things that are impressive.
- Describe yourself in one word? Opinionated. But I don’t find that to be a negative trait.
- Introvert or extrovert? Extremely extroverted. As I’ve grown older, I just let people know in advance.
- What is your favorite thing to eat? Baked beans cooked in the oven mixed with hot dogs (or sausage) and rice. No judgement.
- What is the best way to your heart? Deep conversation. No gimmicks, just coherent ideas on complex issues.
- Name one short-term goal you have set so far. Go into business for myself, and I’m working on it.
5-11 Blogger Nominees:
- Angst & Alliteration
- Recreant Daughter
- Ama Kuma
- The Book Feminist
- Under the Radar
- In Search of an Ideal
- Frazzled Fictions
- iLLUMiNA Magazine
11 Questions for my Nominees:
- What’s your favorite childhood memory?
- What’s the weirdest pet you’ve ever had?
- How many books do you read on average per year?
- How did you come about your blogging niche?
- What is something you know you’re “suppose” to like but you’re not really into?
- Where is the last place you traveled to and why?
- How do you like to wear your hair?
- Do you cook or bake?
- Do you enjoy swimming in the ocean or a pool?
- What you’re favorite phone app?
- Do you have a guilty pleasure tv show?
What a trip! This little exercise took more out of me than I thought it would. It was a bit of work but I love the idea of bloggers supporting other bloggers. Thank you for indulging me.